Friday, April 06, 2012

Aunt Hilda's German citizenship was revoked under the 1935 Nuremberg Laws

Since I have some momentum today and I just mentioned Aunt Hilda's citizenship annulment, here it is:


Here's what it means: Index of Jews Whose German Nationality was Annulled by Nazi Regime, 1935-1944

This is a collection of individual index cards of Jews who had their German nationality annulled by the Nazis. The records were created when German citizenship was revoked because of the anti-Semitic Nuremberg Laws of 1935. The laws spelled out exactly who was considered Jewish and who was allowed German citizenship and its accompanying rights. The Nuremberg Laws also prevented Jews from marrying those of German descent.

These records were filmed from index cards at the Berlin Document Center in 1959. The records have some suffix names added, Israel for men and Sara for women, which were used to readily identify Jews. The records include information on:
Name
Birth Date
Birthplace
Occupation
Last address

This is definitely our Hilda, since it shows her surname as Peiser and her maiden name as Wohlgemuth. Also, her last known residence  in Germany is at an address in Berlin-Charlottenburg.

When I showed this to Walter a few months ago, he said that Hilda and her husband had already left Germany by 1935 and were living in Amsterdam (I need to confirm that he said this). That would explain why her name shows up in this annulment. 

 Importantly, this also provides an exact birth date and location for Hilda. If she was born in Danzig in 1906, and Elly was previously born in the nearby city Elbing, that suggests we need to look for their father Julius's origin in that area of West Prussia/Pomerania more than the East Prussian towns I had been considering before. 

Also, we have said the family was from Koenigsberg before moving to Berlin when Elly was of marriageable age, but they wouldn't have arrived there until after the 1906 date of Hilda's birth in Danzig. So quite a bit to chew on there.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250, 000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250, 000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Whats App +91-8929509036 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment to the Ruby Family History Project