Thursday, July 10, 2008

Feigla birth record deciphered

It was a big day today. I will save the most exciting news for the next post. First I want to report on a further exchange I had with Dan Hirschberg, the Krakow historian whose work led us to a trove of information about the family of our great grandmother Feigla Kaufler.

After Achikam Finkel used Geni recently to update information on the family of our mother's first cousin Zeev Sharon, I thought I should pass that information along to Hirschberg. He tracks all the descendants of Krakow Jewish families until 1945. So I wrote to him with the information that Feigla's daughter Rose Ringle's husband was named David Shatner. Also, that the surname of Rose's son Ze'ev's wife Penina was Dorfman.

Dan wastes no time. Within minutes, he replied that his Kaufler family page has been updated with the new information.

So then I took a chance and asked him in another email if he would take a look at Feigla birth record and tell me the types of information it would contain. This time his reply took a couple of hours to come back, but with more help than I had expected. He gave me the following translation from the Polish of the important information contained in the record. Here it is:


The date of the document: Apr 23, 1854
Reporting witness (also is the father): Abraham Mojzesz KAUFLER, age 25
is a dayworker or laborer,
residing in district 9, house number 189
Birth of daughter at: Mar 29, 1854 (3:00 am?/pm?)
Mother: Hai Ester GRUNBERG, age 24
Name of daughter: Faigla


So this gives us several new things — an occupation and exact address of her father, a time of day for Feigla's birth, age confirmations for her father and mother, and alternate name spellings for Feigla and her mother. Nothing very surprising but nice to know. Thanks again to Dan Hirschberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment to the Ruby Family History Project